Felt Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» hello a comunauty
Using Leverage Empty2010-03-03, 18:00 by belette

» Play with The Felt Fanatics TONIGHT
Using Leverage Empty2010-02-02, 21:46 by JoeShowdown

» PLEASE DO NOT POST ON THIS FORUM
Using Leverage Empty2010-01-17, 12:34 by trucker103

» Final Table Finish in Private Tourney 01-03-10
Using Leverage Empty2010-01-04, 01:20 by datsme53

» Ever go on a Romantic Sleigh Ride? Check it out!
Using Leverage Empty2010-01-03, 20:07 by datsme53

» 1000$ twitter on cake
Using Leverage Empty2009-12-30, 09:00 by ncbluez

» GoHard $100 Grand Slam Final Table Finish! 12-28-09
Using Leverage Empty2009-12-30, 08:59 by ncbluez

» 12/29 Felt Fanatics Firestorm Results
Using Leverage Empty2009-12-30, 08:55 by ncbluez

» New tournament on Tues @ FTP!
Using Leverage Empty2009-12-27, 19:02 by mawlin

Affiliates
free forum

Cake Poker
Online Poker Room and Poker Tournaments - Carbon Poker
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Play online poker with thousands of real people for FREE

Using Leverage

3 posters

Go down

Using Leverage Empty Using Leverage

Post  Clibar 2009-04-12, 22:14

Using Leverage in Poker

Leverage in poker is most effective in a no limit game when you have a deep stack. When you make a bet at the pot, an opponent may be reluctant to call not because of the initial bet, but because he may be anticipating bets on future streets. Depending on the situation, you may win many pots on the flop or turn with minimal risk, simply because an opponent is not prepared to call bigger bets down the line.

However, if you wish to gain leverage, you must be sure that your opponent fears losing his chips. A bet made in later stages of a multi-table tournament with large prizes is not the same as a bet in a free poker tournament.

How to Gain Leverage in Poker

The way you gain leverage when you play poker online is by showing your opponents that you are an aggressive player who is willing to make big bets and are controlling most pots you’re involved in. If you are the type of player who makes one bet, then gives up and checks it down to the river, you will not get any leverage on your bets.

Similarly, if you are a short stack, you have no leverage because opponents know exactly how big a threat you are. In the same vein, if you are facing a short stack you have little leverage because this player is much more likely to be willing to commit himself to the pot if he likes his hand.

Notes on Leverage

Leverage is only one tool in a poker arsenal and should be used wisely. Try to determine which situations will create fear in your opponents and use your loose, dangerous image to push marginal hands. When you have strong hands, try to play in such a way that keeps your opponents relaxed and unsuspecting until the moment you bring the hammer down.
Clibar
Clibar
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Using Leverage Empty Re: Using Leverage

Post  datsme53 2009-04-13, 02:34

Very good article indeed! Hope everyone here finds this and reads it through. Good stuff here!
datsme53
datsme53
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post  bestoboth 2009-04-13, 18:59

Great info here!
I have only recently learned the importance and usefulness of leverage. I was never a very aggressive player but recently I have been experimenting with a muc more LAG type style and have found it is MOST useful! I have even begun bluffing (successfully I might add) and it is all due to learning how to create situations in which I have leverage to play a wider range of hands.

I might say have found that, in addition to table image, position is very important to successfully pulling off this kind of strategy... I suppose it has something to do wth where you tend to win more hands, which in turn affects how people see you at the table but still very important because even if you are NOT as aggressive, playing cards in proper position makes it SEEM that you are more aggressive than you are in reality... if that makes sense... LOL!

Thanks for the great info! Looking forward to more!
bestoboth
bestoboth
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum