FAQ
 Search
Play online poker with thousands of real people for FREE
Shopmotion

What is a Value Bet?

Go down

What is a Value Bet?

Post  Mad Clint on 2009-05-24, 14:17

A lot of the good money poker players make comes from their skills in value betting. A value bet occurs when you put your opponent on a hand, and yours is better. You evaluate how much your opponent is willing to pay you with his worse holding, and then make that bet. If you want to maximize your profit at the poker table, value betting should be a vital part of your game strategy.

The most important factor in making good value bets is to be good at putting opponents on hands. You have to be pretty sure of what your opponent is holding and then act accordingly to that. This skill takes a lot of practice and comes naturally after playing many thousands of hands. Putting opponents on hands and make value bets are two things that often separate winning players from the losing players. Even though this is very much based on practice there are some things that you can think about when trying to decide what to bet on the river.

Example:
The game is $3-$6 No Limit Texas Holdem and you have A♦️ T♥️ on the button. Two players limp in before you and you call. The flop comes 2♣️ T♠️ Q♦️. All players check to you and you decide to bet your middle pair. You bet $20 in the $27 pot. Big Blind folds, and so does the next player, but the last player decides to call. The turn is 3♣️ and you both check. The river is 3♠️. Your opponent checks again.

Let us evaluate what has happened. It is not very probable that your opponent has a Q. With a queen he would have bet the river after you checked on the turn. A possible holding is KJ, he limped pre-flop and KJ is a hand some people like to call with before the flop. You won't be able to get any more from him on the river if he holds a busted straight, but on the other hand, that holding is not a threat to you either. He could have a T with a worse kicker JT, T9 or something like that. He made a call on the flop because you were last to act and he might have thought that you just tried to steal the pot.

I think you should bet here, but how much? You want your opponent to have a T with a worse kicker than you. You showed some weakness on the turn, and he might definitely call you with that kind of hand. If you bet too much he will probably muck, so the appropriate amount is about half of the pot. That could look like a bluff in the eyes of your opponent, but in reality it is a good value bet.

Last edited by Mad Clint on 2009-05-26, 01:31; edited 1 time in total
Mad Clint
Moderators
Moderators

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What is a Value Bet?

Post  Admin on 2009-05-24, 15:24

Very nice post,something for all to read

Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  datsme53 on 2009-05-24, 15:52

A good post indeed! Value betting is what I've been trying to do better at for sure(amoung other things lol). I have a habit of putting my opponents on too good of a hand at times or over betting and producing some folds where I could be getting more calls. I need to be a better reader of my opponents(by better I mean more accurate).

Good job on this post Mad! Smile

Back to top Go down

reep

Post  LargeLooker on 2009-05-24, 16:08

was this a hypathetical or a real hand?- good post iether way- the value bet system you layed out is a good play to me, yet i have a hard time considering mock hands
LargeLooker
Moderators
Moderators

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum